Just like that, we’ve reached the last post of 2018!
I do have a post on the Mediation Server for our “How It Fits into Skype for Business” in the works. But since it’s already mid-December, I thought a ‘year in review’ post made more sense.
2018: Year in Review
- After the Skype for Business/Teams Merger Announcement in late 2017, Microsoft moved fast. Teams reached feature parity in August.
- Teams Growth Extraordinaire. New desktop client, upgrades to mobile apps. It even surpassed Slack to take the #2 enterprise chat spot, after Skype for Business Server.
- The ChatOps War raged. The space has both broadened its user base, and lost some of its offerings (HipChat, Stride).
- The launch of Skype4B Server 2019 in October. We haven’t deployed it for internal use yet, but I know the IT Consulting team has done some testing. Initial impressions good.
- 26 posts on this blog. Only a little growth this year, but that’s my fault more than anyone else’s. I’m still glad to see we get plenty of traffic, helping hundreds of thousands of people!
2018 wasn’t all great news though…
- No Linux client for Teams.
- O365 Outages/Crashes.
- MS auto-moving new O365 customers to Teams (no access to S4B Online)
- The announcement of Skype4B Server 2019 came begrudgingly. As I’ve said before, I suspect we won’t get any more on-prem versions after this.
- We lost one of our office dogs. RIP Patches.
Tumultuous, to say the least. But we’re IT pros. We make things happen no matter what.
What’s Coming in 2019 for the Blog
I know the posting schedule diminished a little this past year. Don’t worry; we’re far from done! Here are some planned posts coming up next year:
- A Skype for Business Server 2019 Install Series. We haven’t deployed Skype4B Server 2019 internally yet. But it’s on the docket. Once we do, I’ll blog about everything I can involving the setup, deployment, capabilities, and snags.
- Teams Integration/Sunsetting of Skype for Business Online posts. A monumental change coming…what will its aftershocks result in? We’ll all find out.
- Software & Device Reviews. I love doing these! Thanks to Yealink, Modality, and Plantronics/Polycom for sharing your hard work with us.
- Collaborations. I’d like to do more collaborations in 2019. We’ve done a few in the past here, and they came out great. Are you a fellow tech blogger? A Microsoft tech with years of experience? Let’s talk! Shoot me an email at email@example.com.
No poll this time. But if you have thoughts about the state of Skype for Business/Teams, please feel free to share.
Merry Christmas to IT Pros Everywhere!
We at PlanetMagpie hope everyone has a safe & happy holiday! We’ll see you back here in January, refreshed and ready for another year.
As always, if you have a topic you’d like to see addressed in 2019, please share it with us.